Saturday, May 21, 2011

It's the End of the World As We Know It...

So as I'm typing this entry, it is 6:11 CST.  At 6pm, the rapture (an English word that means "snatched up" or "caught up") was to take place.  It obviously didn't, because I am able to type this blog entry.  Here's some information that I've found interesting and wanted to share. 

Please don't think that I'm trying to push the Bible in your face, because I'm not.  I'm just wanting to put some facts out there for people to see.

  • According to 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17 in the Bible, this is what will happen when the rapture takes place:  "For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God.  And the dead in Christ will rise first.  Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air.  And thus we shall always be with the Lord.
I didn't hear a shout, let alone a trumpet, and I'm pretty sure that I have pretty good hearing!

Here is what God tells us in the Bible regarding when he will return:
  • But of that day and hour NO ONE knows, not even the angels of heaven, but My Father only." Matthew 24:36
Why would God choose to tell Harold Camping when He was planning to come back?  Don't you think if he DID tell anyone, it would be someone with more Biblical sense like Billy Graham or The Pope?  Of course, he's not going to tell them, though, because as I just showed you, NO ONE knows when the return will be!

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
So now, here's some information on the guy who is behind all of this uproar, Harold Camping.


  • Harold Camping, an American Christian  radio broadcaster and president of Family-Radio,  a California-based radio station that spans more than 150 markets in the United States, predicted that that the rapture would take place on May 21, 2011 at 6 p.m. local time everywhere, and also that the end of the world would take place five months later on October 21, 2011.


  • Camping believes that people not saved will simply cease to exist, rather than spend eternity in hell, as others who predict the Rapture say. Those who were "unsaved" and died prior to May 21 would not be affected by the Rapture or the end of the world.

  • Followers of Harold Camping continue to listen to Camping despite the fact that he was wrong in his previous prediction of the end of the world. In his book 1994?, he claimed there was a very high likelihood that the world would end in September, 1994, although he did acknowledge in the book "the possibility does exist that I could be wrong."
In my opinion, Harold Camping just wants some attention and likes to have his "15 minutes of fame" every now and then.

I feel sorry for the people who believe what he says and get caught up in what he "teaches".

My thoughts on this whole thing (and yes, some are "tongue in cheek" thoughts:

  • I wonder how many people left work yesterday and told their bosses to "take this job and shove it" or something like that, because since they believed that the world was ending today, they wouldn't be returning to work on Monday.  They'll have a lot of explaining or kissing up to the boss on Monday, that's for sure!
  • How many people ate tons of food before 6pm because it could very well be their last meal?  I'll bet they're looking for some Tums, Rolaids, or Pepto Bismol right about now.
  • I was never really worried about the world ending today, but I do believe that the day will be coming sometime in the future. Yes, I realize that's a blanket statement. ;)
Charles M. Shultz, the American cartoonist who brought us Charlie Brown comics said it best when he said this, Don't worry about the world ending today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. 

In closing, my advice to you is this (and you can take it or leave it):  Live each day to its fullest.  Tell everyone that you care about that you love them today, because you might not see them tomorrow, and live your life without regrets, because you don't always get a "do over" in life!


And That's What Sarah Said!!! 


1 comment: