Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Let's Talk About Paula Deen, Shall We?

You won't see me giving an opinion very often, but today, I wanted to talk about one of my favorite "Southern Women", Paula Deen. 


The "Southern Belle"



Unless you have been living under a rock or something like that, you probably know that Paula Deen has been the topic of many a news story lately.

Lisa Jackson, a former employee of restaurants owned by Deen and her brother, Earl "Bubba" Hiers, filed a lawsuit alleging racial and sexual discrimination. In her deposition for the suit, Deen stated that she has used the "N-word" at times, saying "Yes, of course. But that's just not a word that we use as time has gone on. Things have changed since the '60s in the south."

Because of this, Deen's contract with Food Network will not be renewed at the end of this month.  As of yesterday, Smithfield Foods dropped her as a spokesperson.




And now, my thoughts (in no certain order):

  •  Haven't we all said something before that we might regret now?  I know that I have!
  •  At least Paula isn't denying that she said the word. 
  • I have a feeling that Food Network will regret dropping Paula, and rightfully so.  She's one of the biggest stars/moneymakers for that network!
  • As for Smithfield Foods, it is rumored that they're in talks to be bought out by a Chinese company, so if I were Paula, I wouldn't sweat that one!
  •  Because of Paula's background story (overcoming Agoraphobia), she has inspired many people. I know one of my good friends is inspired by her because of this.
  •  I (along with many of my Facebook friends) have joined a few of the support pages that have been created in support of "Miss Paula". Here is one titled, "We support Paula Deen".
  • Sure, she hid the fact that she had Diabetes from the public, but I don't go announcing to the world every single ailment or disease that I have.  
  •  I understand that she was being somewhat of a hypocrite by cooking foods that weren't very "Diabetes Friendly", but again, we all make mistakes.  At least she finally admitted that she had Diabetes.
  • It seems to me that there is a double standard going on here.  What about all of the so-called rap artists and movie producers that use that kind of language every single day? Do we ever hear anybody condemning them for any of their language use?  Not like this, we don't!
  • A word only has "power to hurt" if we let it.  Remember the sayings "Sticks & stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" or  "I'm rubber, you're glue, everything bounces off me and sticks to you."  My favorite is best said by Mr. Pee Wee Herman, "I know you are, but what am I!?!?"
  • We need to stop giving words like the "N-word", "cracker", and "honky" power to be hurtful. 
These are only my opinions/thoughts on this whole situation.  You may or may not agree with me.  It's like one of my best friend's dad always told us when we were growing up, "Opinions are like butt holes...everyone has one!"  

Don't we have bigger things to worry about than to worry about a person's past words.  Paula has already apologized. What else can she do?  The racial slur was said in the past and she regrets it!  

Let's move on!

P.S. I welcome anyone's opinion on this topic, so feel free to comment below!


Yes, She Does!!


Even "Grumpy Cat" Supports Paula!!


And That's What Sarah Says!!!
 

5 comments:

  1. I agree with about half of what you've said. If the "N" word is just another word like cracker and honky and words only have the power that we give to them, then why don't use just use the word? The word is "Nigger" and it's a filthy, despicable, disgusting word, no matter HOW it's used.
    I don't watch TV, I don't subscribe to cable, so I honestly do NOT care who's on the Food Network, who isn't, or whatever. What I do care about is that people who are in the public eye, people that we give the title of role model, should actually BE role models. If they don't want to be, fine, but then they should expect to lose all the perks they got for being one....like your own TV show, being a brand sponsor, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. She apologized for saying it, which is pretty much all that she can do at this point. I give her kudos for that. It is more than some people that have "been caught" so to speak have done.

      Thanks for reading and taking the time to respond.

      Delete
  2. I guess I take another side/point of view on this one.
    Every day I see people who are black say it and its ok. I hear songs with it and its ok, I read book with it not edited.

    Why it is ok for others to say it and not her? Don't get me wrong, I hate the word and its not allowed in my home or around me but I have an issue with the double standard. The only difference in her using the word, which was a common word back in the day, is that she is Caucasian. I am tired of the double standard. If we had a Miss White America people would complain. If we had a White Entertainment Television station, people would complain. If we had a White magazine, people would complain. You cant segregate yourself and then want to be treated equal. It confuses me on what is acceptable or not. I believe in treating all as equals and judge them on their heart and morals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you and that is part of the reason that I felt the need to do this blog post.

      People tend to forget that even though these people are "celebrities", they are still human and make mistakes just like the rest of us. No one is perfect, and if someone says that they are, they are lying.

      Thanks for taking the time to read and comment!

      Delete
    2. I do agree with your point that the repercussions or blame or whatever isn't applied equally or evenly. I don't think that word is okay no matter who says it, white or black, and I do believe that when a black person uses it casually, saying they're "reclaiming" that word, that they are actually perpetuating a stereotype that we would all like to see gone.

      Delete